Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Pyramid, Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0389
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
1903
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32310
KEYWORDS
postcards
monuments
Earl of Cromarty
Pyramid, Dingwall

This postcard from 1903 shows the Pyramid, Dingwall

The 65 foot high obelisk was built in memory of George, first Earl of Cromartie, Viscount Tarbat, Lord Macleod and Castlehaven, who died at Tarbat House on the 27th August 1714, aged 84. The monument is leaning dangerously, apparently caused by an earthquake in 1800.The earl was a prominent figure in the reigns of Charles II, James II and Queen Anne. He was buried in an unmarked grave 3ft 6ins to the south of the memorial in a supposed attempt to stop his wife from dancing on his grave.

The original monument was replaced by a smaller replica in 1922. It is now surrounded by a car park.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Pyramid, Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1900s

postcards; monuments; Earl of Cromarty

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1903 shows the Pyramid, Dingwall<br /> <br /> The 65 foot high obelisk was built in memory of George, first Earl of Cromartie, Viscount Tarbat, Lord Macleod and Castlehaven, who died at Tarbat House on the 27th August 1714, aged 84. The monument is leaning dangerously, apparently caused by an earthquake in 1800.The earl was a prominent figure in the reigns of Charles II, James II and Queen Anne. He was buried in an unmarked grave 3ft 6ins to the south of the memorial in a supposed attempt to stop his wife from dancing on his grave. <br /> <br /> The original monument was replaced by a smaller replica in 1922. It is now surrounded by a car park.