Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Municipal Buildings, Dingwall
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0396
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32318
KEYWORDS
postacrds
town houses
museums
The Municipal Buildings, Dingwall

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the Municipal Buildings Dingwall

Dingwall's original town house was built in 1732-33 by mason William MacNeil. The tower was added in 1773-4. It was designed by John Boog who had sought inspiration from the Tolbooth Steeple in Forres. The square tower topped with a wooden copula housed the town jail. In 1902-6 the town house was rebuilt by William C. Joass, the copula was replaced with a taller one and the balcony was added. It provided offices for the council. It is now the home of Dingwall's museum

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Municipal Buildings, Dingwall

ROSS: Dingwall

1900s

postacrds; town houses; museums

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the Municipal Buildings Dingwall<br /> <br /> Dingwall's original town house was built in 1732-33 by mason William MacNeil. The tower was added in 1773-4. It was designed by John Boog who had sought inspiration from the Tolbooth Steeple in Forres. The square tower topped with a wooden copula housed the town jail. In 1902-6 the town house was rebuilt by William C. Joass, the copula was replaced with a taller one and the balcony was added. It provided offices for the council. It is now the home of Dingwall's museum