Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dingwall looking to Hector Macdonald Memorial
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0399
PLACENAME
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Dingwall
DATE OF IMAGE
1927
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32321
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
harbours
canals
monuments
heroes
Dingwall looking to Hector Macdonald Memorial

This postcard from 1927 shows Dingwall, looking to the Hector Macdonald Memorial

Dingwall, the county town for Ross and Cromarty, is situated at the head of the Cromarty Firth. Macbeth is believed to have been born in the castle here in 1005. The Norse leader Thorfin established his "seat of justice" or "thing vollr" here and gave Dingwall its name. Alexander II created Dingwall a royal burgh in 1227. The Earls of Ross ruled here until the fifteenth century when the last earl was involved in a failed attempt to overthrow the throne and the title reverted to the Crown.

Dingwall declined in the seventeenth century and the castle was demolished in 1818. Fortunes improved with the building of a harbour by Thomas Telford. A canal was also built but quickly fell in to disuse. The coming of the railway in 1862 brought more prosperity. The town developed as a market town and agricultural centre with a permanent livestock mart.

On the right is Mitchell Hill, named after John Mitchell, a provost of Dingwall. On top is the impressive monument to Major-General Sir Hector Macdonald, the son of a Black Isle crofter who joined the army as a private and whose rise through the ranks was unprecedented. He served with distinction in Afghanistan, South Africa, India and Sudan and became a national hero, earning the nickname "Fighting Mac". He was knighted in 1901 but grave charges were brought against him. After reading damaging reports in the press he committed suicide in a Paris hotel in 1903.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dingwall looking to Hector Macdonald Memorial

ROSS: Dingwall

1920s

postcards; towns; harbours; canals; monuments; heroes

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1927 shows Dingwall, looking to the Hector Macdonald Memorial<br /> <br /> Dingwall, the county town for Ross and Cromarty, is situated at the head of the Cromarty Firth. Macbeth is believed to have been born in the castle here in 1005. The Norse leader Thorfin established his "seat of justice" or "thing vollr" here and gave Dingwall its name. Alexander II created Dingwall a royal burgh in 1227. The Earls of Ross ruled here until the fifteenth century when the last earl was involved in a failed attempt to overthrow the throne and the title reverted to the Crown.<br /> <br /> Dingwall declined in the seventeenth century and the castle was demolished in 1818. Fortunes improved with the building of a harbour by Thomas Telford. A canal was also built but quickly fell in to disuse. The coming of the railway in 1862 brought more prosperity. The town developed as a market town and agricultural centre with a permanent livestock mart.<br /> <br /> On the right is Mitchell Hill, named after John Mitchell, a provost of Dingwall. On top is the impressive monument to Major-General Sir Hector Macdonald, the son of a Black Isle crofter who joined the army as a private and whose rise through the ranks was unprecedented. He served with distinction in Afghanistan, South Africa, India and Sudan and became a national hero, earning the nickname "Fighting Mac". He was knighted in 1901 but grave charges were brought against him. After reading damaging reports in the press he committed suicide in a Paris hotel in 1903.