Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0404
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32326
KEYWORDS
postcards
villages
fishing
bridges
Lochalsh
Dornie

This postcard shows Francis Street in the village of Dornie.

Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning the pebbly place.

The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades.

A ferry used to cross Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve, linking Kintail and Lochalsh. It was replaced by a bridge in 1940.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s

postcards; villages; fishing; bridges; Lochalsh

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Francis Street in the village of Dornie.<br /> <br /> Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning the pebbly place.<br /> <br /> The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. <br /> <br /> A ferry used to cross Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve, linking Kintail and Lochalsh. It was replaced by a bridge in 1940.