Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Village and Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0407
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32328
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
villages
ferries
fishing
bridges
Lochalsh
Dornie Village and Ferry

This postcard shows Dornie village and ferry with the hills of Lochalsh behind.

Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning "the pebbly place".

The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades.

Well in to the twentieth century the ferry crossing from Ardelve to Dornie, the Aird Ferry, linking Kintail with Lochalsh, was by rowing boat. When cars first began to travel in the Highlands they had to be precariously balanced, one at a time, on planks across the gunwales to be transported across. Later the rowing boat was replaced by a motor boat with a turntable which could carry one car. The ferry became redundant when a bridge across Loch Long was opened in 1940.

On the north side of Loch Long is the Loch Duich Hotel; formerly the Aird Ferry Hotel.

A ferry also operated from Ardelve to Totaig on the south shore of Loch Duich. The ferryman was summoned by a horn hanging on the pier.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Village and Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s; 1930s

postcards; lochs; villages; ferries; fishing; bridges; Lochalsh

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Dornie village and ferry with the hills of Lochalsh behind.<br /> <br /> Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning "the pebbly place".<br /> <br /> The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. <br /> <br /> Well in to the twentieth century the ferry crossing from Ardelve to Dornie, the Aird Ferry, linking Kintail with Lochalsh, was by rowing boat. When cars first began to travel in the Highlands they had to be precariously balanced, one at a time, on planks across the gunwales to be transported across. Later the rowing boat was replaced by a motor boat with a turntable which could carry one car. The ferry became redundant when a bridge across Loch Long was opened in 1940. <br /> <br /> On the north side of Loch Long is the Loch Duich Hotel; formerly the Aird Ferry Hotel. <br /> <br /> A ferry also operated from Ardelve to Totaig on the south shore of Loch Duich. The ferryman was summoned by a horn hanging on the pier.