Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Village from Loch Duich Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0416
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32336
KEYWORDS
postcards
vilages
lochs
mountains
ferries
fishing
bridges
Lochalsh
Dornie Village from Loch Duich Hotel

This postcard shows Dornie village from Loch Duich Hotel with the mountains of Kintail behind.

Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning the pebbly place.

The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades.

The ferry which plied across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve, linking Lochalsh and Kintail was replaced in 1940 by the bridge in the picture. It had a span in the middle which could be opened to allow shipping through. This bridge was dismantled in the 1990s when a new bridge was built.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Village from Loch Duich Hotel

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

postcards; vilages; lochs; mountains; ferries; fishing; bridges; Lochalsh

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Dornie village from Loch Duich Hotel with the mountains of Kintail behind.<br /> <br /> Dornie is situated in Wester Ross on the east coast of Loch Long and where Loch Long and Loch Duich meet Loch Alsh. The old Gaelic name was Bun dà loch meaning "foot of two lochs". The modern name, Dornie, is from the Gaelic "an Doirnidh" meaning the pebbly place.<br /> <br /> The British Fisheries Society laid out the village in 1794 as a fishing and trading station, on land belonging to Colonel Francis Humberston Mackenzie of Seaforth. Until the 1870s, many of the population were involved with the herring industry, both curing and selling, but boatbuilding and net and shoemaking were also popular trades. <br /> <br /> The ferry which plied across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve, linking Lochalsh and Kintail was replaced in 1940 by the bridge in the picture. It had a span in the middle which could be opened to allow shipping through. This bridge was dismantled in the 1990s when a new bridge was built.