Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Chapel Road, Evanton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0418
PLACENAME
Evanton
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kiltearn
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32338
KEYWORDS
postcards
villages
clearances
airfields
Chapel Road, Evanton

This postcard shows Chapel Road, Evanton

The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was created by local landowner Alexander Fraser of Balconie (also known as Inchcoulter) and named after his son Evan. It was populated by people cleared from straths in the west to make way for sheep. It was An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.

The shop on the left is "D. Macdonald" and there is a shop half way down on the right hand side of the street which according to the message on the back of the postcard is "Rogers - famous for rolls"

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Chapel Road, Evanton

ROSS: Kiltearn

1910s

postcards; villages; clearances; airfields

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Chapel Road, Evanton<br /> <br /> The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was created by local landowner Alexander Fraser of Balconie (also known as Inchcoulter) and named after his son Evan. It was populated by people cleared from straths in the west to make way for sheep. It was An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.<br /> <br /> The shop on the left is "D. Macdonald" and there is a shop half way down on the right hand side of the street which according to the message on the back of the postcard is "Rogers - famous for rolls"