Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Greetings from Evanton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0419
PLACENAME
Evanton
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kiltearn
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32339
KEYWORDS
postcards
monuments
firths
castles
Jacobites
villages
airfields
Greetings from Evanton

This postcard shows five views from around Evanton; Fyrish Monument, the Kyle of Sutherland, the Novar Arms Hotel, Foulis Castle, the seat of Clan Munro, and the approach to Evanton.

Fyrish Monument is situated on the top of Cnoc Fyrish or Fyrish Hill overlooking the Cromarty Firth. Fyrish probably derives from the Norse "fura" or "fyri" meaning pine tree. The monument was built in 1783 by General Sir Hector Munro of Novar to provide work for local people and was based on the Gates of Negapatam in India which was the scene of one of the General's victories.

The Kyle of Sutherland is a narrow stretch of water, at the head of the Dornoch Firth, which extends three miles from Bonar Bridge.

Foulis Castle, seat of Clan Munro, lies four miles north-east of Dingwall. This classical mansion was built between 1754 and 1792 on the site of a former twelfth century castle. The original castle, built by the Munros, was torched in 1746 by the Jacobites because the family fought against Bonnie Prince Charlie. Foulis may derive from the Gaelic "fo-glais" or "foghlais" meaning streamlet.

The Novar Arms Hotel, a former coaching inn built around 1850, is situated in Evanton.

The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was founded in 1810 by Evan Fraser of Balernie and populated by people cleared from valleys in the west to make way for sheep. An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Greetings from Evanton

ROSS: Kiltearn

1960s

postcards; monuments; firths; castles; Jacobites; villages; airfields

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows five views from around Evanton; Fyrish Monument, the Kyle of Sutherland, the Novar Arms Hotel, Foulis Castle, the seat of Clan Munro, and the approach to Evanton.<br /> <br /> Fyrish Monument is situated on the top of Cnoc Fyrish or Fyrish Hill overlooking the Cromarty Firth. Fyrish probably derives from the Norse "fura" or "fyri" meaning pine tree. The monument was built in 1783 by General Sir Hector Munro of Novar to provide work for local people and was based on the Gates of Negapatam in India which was the scene of one of the General's victories. <br /> <br /> The Kyle of Sutherland is a narrow stretch of water, at the head of the Dornoch Firth, which extends three miles from Bonar Bridge.<br /> <br /> Foulis Castle, seat of Clan Munro, lies four miles north-east of Dingwall. This classical mansion was built between 1754 and 1792 on the site of a former twelfth century castle. The original castle, built by the Munros, was torched in 1746 by the Jacobites because the family fought against Bonnie Prince Charlie. Foulis may derive from the Gaelic "fo-glais" or "foghlais" meaning streamlet.<br /> <br /> The Novar Arms Hotel, a former coaching inn built around 1850, is situated in Evanton. <br /> <br /> The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was founded in 1810 by Evan Fraser of Balernie and populated by people cleared from valleys in the west to make way for sheep. An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.