Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Road, Evanton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0421
PLACENAME
Evanton
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kiltearn
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32341
KEYWORDS
postcards
villages
clearances
airfields
Station Road, Evanton

This postcard shows Station Road, Evanton

The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was founded in 1810 by Evan Fraser of Balernie and populated by people cleared from valleys in the west to make way for sheep. An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Road, Evanton

ROSS: Kiltearn

postcards; villages; clearances; airfields

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Station Road, Evanton<br /> <br /> The village of Evanton is situated on the north side of the Cromarty Firth about six miles east of Dingwall. The name literally means Evan's town. It was founded in 1810 by Evan Fraser of Balernie and populated by people cleared from valleys in the west to make way for sheep. An airfield was established at Evanton in 1920 and used by the Fleet Air Arm. In the 1970s an industrial estate was built on the site.