Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Abbey Fearn
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0424
PLACENAME
Fearn
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fearn
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32344
KEYWORDS
postcards
abbeys
accidents
churches
The Abbey Fearn

This postcard from 1904 shows Abbey Church, Fearn

The abbey is situated in the small parish of Fearn in Easter Ross. It was founded in the twelfth century by Farquahar, first Earl of Ross but the land was not fertile. The churchmen obtained a bull, an official document, from the Pope allowing the abbey to be moved to where it now stands.

On the south side is the ruin of St Michael's aisle built by Abbot Finlay MacFaed, who died in 1485, for his tomb

A terrible accident happened in 1742 which was reported in the Scot's Magazine.

"On Sunday the 10th of October, in the time of worship, the roof and part of the side-wall of the church of Fearn in Rosshire fell suddenly in, occasioned by the violence of a storm, or as some say by lightning. It was a very old fabrick, built in the Gothic taste, and covered with flagstone. The Gentry had their seats in the niches, and by that means their lives were saved; as was the Minister Mr Daniel Ross, by the sounding- board's falling on the pulpit and his falling below it. The area of the church was covered with rubbish; vast numbers were sounded, and 40 dug out, whole bodies were smashed and disfigured, as they could scarcely be known; so that they were buried promiscuously without ceremony"

The church was rebuilt in 1772.The Abbey is now incorporated in the parish church

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Abbey Fearn

ROSS: Fearn

postcards; abbeys; accidents; churches

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from 1904 shows Abbey Church, Fearn<br /> <br /> The abbey is situated in the small parish of Fearn in Easter Ross. It was founded in the twelfth century by Farquahar, first Earl of Ross but the land was not fertile. The churchmen obtained a bull, an official document, from the Pope allowing the abbey to be moved to where it now stands.<br /> <br /> On the south side is the ruin of St Michael's aisle built by Abbot Finlay MacFaed, who died in 1485, for his tomb<br /> <br /> A terrible accident happened in 1742 which was reported in the Scot's Magazine. <br /> <br /> "On Sunday the 10th of October, in the time of worship, the roof and part of the side-wall of the church of Fearn in Rosshire fell suddenly in, occasioned by the violence of a storm, or as some say by lightning. It was a very old fabrick, built in the Gothic taste, and covered with flagstone. The Gentry had their seats in the niches, and by that means their lives were saved; as was the Minister Mr Daniel Ross, by the sounding- board's falling on the pulpit and his falling below it. The area of the church was covered with rubbish; vast numbers were sounded, and 40 dug out, whole bodies were smashed and disfigured, as they could scarcely be known; so that they were buried promiscuously without ceremony"<br /> <br /> The church was rebuilt in 1772.The Abbey is now incorporated in the parish church