Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Camp of the Lovat Scouts at Fearn, 1904
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0427
PLACENAME
Fearn
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fearn
DATE OF IMAGE
1904
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32347
KEYWORDS
postcards
Lovat Scouts
camps
Camp of the Lovat Scouts at Fearn, 1904

After the of the Lovat Scouts in the South African War, Lord Lovat was allowed to raise the Lovat Scouts again in 1903. The 1st and 2nd Lovat Scouts were established as two regiments of Yeomanry, each of 500 men with ponies. They attended a series of annual camps at Beaufort. Fearn, Tain, and Brodie, the Scouts riding to camp from all over the northern Highlands. The camps had to accommodate over a thousand men and horses, and were described as 'canvas cities'. They included veterinary and hospital arrangements, as well as the necessary fodder and water troughs. When the Territorial Force was created under the Army Reforms of 1908, the two Regiments of Lovat Scouts formed part of the Highland Mounted Brigade under the command of Lord Lovat.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Camp of the Lovat Scouts at Fearn, 1904

ROSS: Fearn

1900s

postcards; Lovat Scouts; camps

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

After the of the Lovat Scouts in the South African War, Lord Lovat was allowed to raise the Lovat Scouts again in 1903. The 1st and 2nd Lovat Scouts were established as two regiments of Yeomanry, each of 500 men with ponies. They attended a series of annual camps at Beaufort. Fearn, Tain, and Brodie, the Scouts riding to camp from all over the northern Highlands. The camps had to accommodate over a thousand men and horses, and were described as 'canvas cities'. They included veterinary and hospital arrangements, as well as the necessary fodder and water troughs. When the Territorial Force was created under the Army Reforms of 1908, the two Regiments of Lovat Scouts formed part of the Highland Mounted Brigade under the command of Lord Lovat. <br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).