Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose from the Air
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0430
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32350
KEYWORDS
postcards
towns
cathedrals
chirches
schools
charters
Fortrose from the Air

This postcard from the middle of the twentieth century shows Fortrose from the air.

The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle overlooking the Moray Firth.

In the centre of the picture are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral. Above the shore is St Andrews Episcopal Church, built in 1828 in Gothic style with pinnacled buttresses. To the right, is the small round tower, with its conical roof, of Fortrose Academy designed by John Robertson and built in 1890.

The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons.

In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains.

The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.

Today Fortrose is popular with tourists and holidaymakers. The opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought it within easy reach of Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose from the Air

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1940s

postcards; towns; cathedrals; chirches; schools; charters

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the middle of the twentieth century shows Fortrose from the air. <br /> <br /> The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle overlooking the Moray Firth.<br /> <br /> In the centre of the picture are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral. Above the shore is St Andrews Episcopal Church, built in 1828 in Gothic style with pinnacled buttresses. To the right, is the small round tower, with its conical roof, of Fortrose Academy designed by John Robertson and built in 1890. <br /> <br /> The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons. <br /> <br /> In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains. <br /> <br /> The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.<br /> <br /> Today Fortrose is popular with tourists and holidaymakers. The opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought it within easy reach of Inverness.