Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
A Glimpse of the Moray Firth from above Fortrose

This postcard from the 1960s shows a glimpse of the Moray Firth from above Fortrose.

The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.

Projecting a mile in to the firth is the peninsula of Chanonry Ness which is believed to be a moraine, a pile of boulders and rocks, deposited during the Ice Age. In the background is the coast of Inverness-shire. In the centre of the town are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral.

The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons.

In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains.

The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.

In the nineteenth century steam-vessels carrying goods and passengers stopped at Canonry Point at the end of Chanonry Ness. A regular ferry plied between Chanonry Point and Ardersier on the Inverness-shire coast, the shortest crossing of the Moray Firth, until the 1930s

The lighthouse at Chanonry Point was built by Alan Stevenson in 1846. Near the lighthouse is a memorial stone to the Brahan Seer who was accused of witchcraft by the Countess of Seaforth in 1660 and burned to death here in spiked barrel of tar.
The Ness is now known for more gentle pursuits. The Point is a favourite place to watch bottlenose dolphins and golf has been played on the links since the early 18th century.

A harbour was built in 1817 by Thomas Telford. Communications improved with the opening of the Black Isle railway in 1894. It closed to passengers in 1951. Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Glimpse of the Moray Firth from above Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1960s

postcards; peninsulas; moraine; cathedrals; towns; charters; schools; ferries; lighthouses; witchcraft; seers; golf; dolphins; harbours; railways; bridges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the 1960s shows a glimpse of the Moray Firth from above Fortrose. <br /> <br /> The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> Projecting a mile in to the firth is the peninsula of Chanonry Ness which is believed to be a moraine, a pile of boulders and rocks, deposited during the Ice Age. In the background is the coast of Inverness-shire. In the centre of the town are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral.<br /> <br /> The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons. <br /> <br /> In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains. <br /> <br /> The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.<br /> <br /> In the nineteenth century steam-vessels carrying goods and passengers stopped at Canonry Point at the end of Chanonry Ness. A regular ferry plied between Chanonry Point and Ardersier on the Inverness-shire coast, the shortest crossing of the Moray Firth, until the 1930s<br /> <br /> The lighthouse at Chanonry Point was built by Alan Stevenson in 1846. Near the lighthouse is a memorial stone to the Brahan Seer who was accused of witchcraft by the Countess of Seaforth in 1660 and burned to death here in spiked barrel of tar.<br /> The Ness is now known for more gentle pursuits. The Point is a favourite place to watch bottlenose dolphins and golf has been played on the links since the early 18th century.<br /> <br /> A harbour was built in 1817 by Thomas Telford. Communications improved with the opening of the Black Isle railway in 1894. It closed to passengers in 1951. Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.