Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0434
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32354
KEYWORDS
postcards
peninsulas
moraine
cathedrals
towns
charters
schools
ferries
lighthouses
witchcraft
seers
golf
dolphins
harbours
railways
bridges
Fortrose

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows Fortrose.

The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.

In the foreground is Fortrose Station. In the centre are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral and behind is the small round tower, with its conical roof, of Fortrose Academy designed by John Robertson and built in 1890. In the background are the Moray Firth and the Inverness-shire coast

The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons.

In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains.

The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.

A harbour was built in 1817 by Thomas Telford.

The Muir of Ord to Fortrose branch of the Highland Railway was opened on 1 February 1894 The line closed to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to freight on 13 June 1960. The station site is now a car park.

Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1910s

postcards; peninsulas; moraine; cathedrals; towns; charters; schools; ferries; lighthouses; witchcraft; seers; golf; dolphins; harbours; railways; bridges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows Fortrose. <br /> <br /> The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> In the foreground is Fortrose Station. In the centre are the ruins of Fortrose Cathedral and behind is the small round tower, with its conical roof, of Fortrose Academy designed by John Robertson and built in 1890. In the background are the Moray Firth and the Inverness-shire coast<br /> <br /> The Cathedral was founded in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons. <br /> <br /> In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains. <br /> <br /> The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.<br /> <br /> A harbour was built in 1817 by Thomas Telford. <br /> <br /> The Muir of Ord to Fortrose branch of the Highland Railway was opened on 1 February 1894 The line closed to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to freight on 13 June 1960. The station site is now a car park.<br /> <br /> Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.