Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0436
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32356
KEYWORDS
postcards
peninsulas
moraine
cathedrals
towns
charters
schools
ferries
lighthouses
witchcraft
seers
golf
dolphins
harbours
railways
bridges
Fortrose

This postcard shows Fortrose.

The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.

Beyond the town, projecting a mile in to the Moray Firth is the peninsula of Chanonry Ness which is believed to be a moraine, a pile of boulders and rocks, deposited during the ice age. In the background is the Inverness-shire coast. On the right is the harbour.

A Cathedral was founded at Fortrose in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons.

In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains.

The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.

In the nineteenth century steam-vessels carrying goods and passengers stopped at Canonry Point at the end of Chanonry Ness. A regular ferry plied between Chanonry Point and Ardersier on the Inverness-shire coast, the shortest crossing of the Moray Firth, until the 1930s

A lighthouse at Chanonry Point was built by Alan Stevenson in 1846. Near the lighthouse is a memorial stone to the Brahan Seer who was accused of witchcraft by the Countess of Seaforth in 1660 and burned to death here in spiked barrel of tar.
The Ness is now known for more gentle pursuits. The Point is a favourite place to watch bottlenose dolphins and golf has been played on the links since the early 18th century.

The sandstone tidal harbour at Fortrose was built by Thomas Telford in 1817 at a cost of £4,000. Some of this money came from the residual funds of the Commissioners of the Forfeited Estates. A wooden pier was added in 1879 but it had rotted away by the middle of the twentieth century

Communications improved with the opening of the Black Isle railway in 1894. It closed to passengers in 1951. Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1910s

postcards; peninsulas; moraine; cathedrals; towns; charters; schools; ferries; lighthouses; witchcraft; seers; golf; dolphins; harbours; railways; bridges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Fortrose.<br /> <br /> The town of Fortrose is situated on the south coast of the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> Beyond the town, projecting a mile in to the Moray Firth is the peninsula of Chanonry Ness which is believed to be a moraine, a pile of boulders and rocks, deposited during the ice age. In the background is the Inverness-shire coast. On the right is the harbour.<br /> <br /> A Cathedral was founded at Fortrose in the thirteenth century and the Bishop of Ross had his residence here. Around the Cathedral the canons, the priests who served the Cathedral, built their manses. The old name for the town was Chanonry - the Place of the Canons.<br /> <br /> In 1444 a charter granted by King James II united Chanonry with its more ancient neighbour Rosemarkie under the common name of Fortross now Fortrose. By 1584 Fortrose had a grammar school and the town flourished as a centre of the arts and sciences especially law and divinity. However by the time of the Reformation the Cathedral was already in a state of disrepair and much of its red sandstone was removed by Oliver Cromwell's army and taken to build his fort at Inverness. Only a small part of the Cathedral remains. <br /> <br /> The town remained a seat of learning. Fortrose Academy was established in 1791 and was renowned for its education.<br /> <br /> In the nineteenth century steam-vessels carrying goods and passengers stopped at Canonry Point at the end of Chanonry Ness. A regular ferry plied between Chanonry Point and Ardersier on the Inverness-shire coast, the shortest crossing of the Moray Firth, until the 1930s<br /> <br /> A lighthouse at Chanonry Point was built by Alan Stevenson in 1846. Near the lighthouse is a memorial stone to the Brahan Seer who was accused of witchcraft by the Countess of Seaforth in 1660 and burned to death here in spiked barrel of tar.<br /> The Ness is now known for more gentle pursuits. The Point is a favourite place to watch bottlenose dolphins and golf has been played on the links since the early 18th century.<br /> <br /> The sandstone tidal harbour at Fortrose was built by Thomas Telford in 1817 at a cost of £4,000. Some of this money came from the residual funds of the Commissioners of the Forfeited Estates. A wooden pier was added in 1879 but it had rotted away by the middle of the twentieth century<br /> <br /> Communications improved with the opening of the Black Isle railway in 1894. It closed to passengers in 1951. Fortrose is popular with holidaymakers and tourists and the opening of the Kessock Bridge in 1982 has brought Inverness within easy reach.