Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
High Street, Fortrose
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0450
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32373
KEYWORDS
postcards
houses
fountains
High Street, Fortrose

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the High Street, Fortrose.

On the right, next to the ivy covered terraced house, is a house designed by A. & W. Reid, now the Bank of Scotland, and a terrace of Gothic style houses designed by John Rhind and built in 1867. Beyond them is a house which bears the date 1740 although the frontage is mid Victorian.

The drinking fountain on the left, at the corner with Academy Street, had disappeared by the 1940s. A small restaurant has been built on the opposite corner.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

High Street, Fortrose

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1910s

postcards; houses; fountains

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard from the early twentieth century shows the High Street, Fortrose.<br /> <br /> On the right, next to the ivy covered terraced house, is a house designed by A. & W. Reid, now the Bank of Scotland, and a terrace of Gothic style houses designed by John Rhind and built in 1867. Beyond them is a house which bears the date 1740 although the frontage is mid Victorian.<br /> <br /> The drinking fountain on the left, at the corner with Academy Street, had disappeared by the 1940s. A small restaurant has been built on the opposite corner.