Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Gairloch Bay

This postcard shows Gairloch Bay

Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross on the shore of Loch Gairloch. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch. Gairloch Bay is at the head of Loch Gairloch.
It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch - Lonemore, Smithstown, Mial, Strath, Auchtercairn and Charlestown - have been known collectively as Gairloch.

Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea.
Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two-lane carriageway.

Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.

Gairloch though is best known as a holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch during her stay at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel in 1877 and since then tourists have been coming to enjoy the fine beaches and wonderful scenery. Steam ships visited regularly during the nineteenth century and the Gairloch Hotel catered for the visitors every need. A golf course was opened in 1898.

The southern shore of the loch has a number of islands which create a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. The largest island is Eilean Horrisdale. The name comes from Thor, the Norse God of thunder, and is a reminder that the Vikings once held sway along this coast.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch Bay

ROSS: Gairloch

1920s

postcards; lochs; settlements; Charlestown; Lonemore; Smithstown; Mial; Auchtercairn; crofting; fishing; shellfish; resorts; Queen Victoria; beaches; steam ships; golf; Horrisdale; anchorages; Thor; Vikings; Horrisdale

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Gairloch Bay<br /> <br /> Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross on the shore of Loch Gairloch. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch. Gairloch Bay is at the head of Loch Gairloch. <br /> It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch - Lonemore, Smithstown, Mial, Strath, Auchtercairn and Charlestown - have been known collectively as Gairloch. <br /> <br /> Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea. <br /> Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two-lane carriageway.<br /> <br /> Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.<br /> <br /> Gairloch though is best known as a holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch during her stay at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel in 1877 and since then tourists have been coming to enjoy the fine beaches and wonderful scenery. Steam ships visited regularly during the nineteenth century and the Gairloch Hotel catered for the visitors every need. A golf course was opened in 1898.<br /> <br /> The southern shore of the loch has a number of islands which create a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. The largest island is Eilean Horrisdale. The name comes from Thor, the Norse God of thunder, and is a reminder that the Vikings once held sway along this coast.