Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0469
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32396
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
tourists
Queen Victoria
Loch Maree
St Maelrubha
Flowerdale
Mackenzies
Charlestown
Macleods
Tigh Digh
Gairloch

This postcard shows five views from around Gairloch: Gairloch Hotel; the islands, Slioch and Loch Maree; Flowerdale from the P.O; Gairloch from above the hotel; the sands

Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross on the shore of Loch Gairloch. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.

Crofting and fishing used to be the mainstay of the scattered communities along the shore of the loch which are collectively known as Gairloch.

Gairloch is best known as a holiday resort. The Gairloch Hotel was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.

The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned. At the far end of the beach on the small rocky promontory are the low grass covered walls of a Pictish fort.

Slioch, meaning spear, at 3210 feet (981 metres) dominates lovely Loch Maree with its many islands which are covered with the remains of ancient native pinewoods. Named after St Maelrubha, who founded a church on one of the islands, the loch is steeped in myth and legend.

Flowerdale is a glen just inland from Gairloch's harbour at Charlestown. The Mackenzie's of Gairloch have their family seat here at Flowerdale House.

The lands of Gairloch were once owned by the Macleods and there is a history of feuding, murder and treachery between the Macleods and the Mackenzies. The present house was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the ninth laird and second baronet of Gairloch. It was then named Tigh Digh nam Gorm Leac, Moat House of the Blue Slates, and the glen was known as Baile Mor Glen, Big Village Glen. A profusion of wild flowers grows here which has given rise to the name Flowerdale.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1960s

postcards; hotels; tourists; Queen Victoria; Loch Maree; St Maelrubha; Flowerdale; Mackenzies; Charlestown; Macleods; Tigh Digh

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows five views from around Gairloch: Gairloch Hotel; the islands, Slioch and Loch Maree; Flowerdale from the P.O; Gairloch from above the hotel; the sands <br /> <br /> Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross on the shore of Loch Gairloch. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.<br /> <br /> Crofting and fishing used to be the mainstay of the scattered communities along the shore of the loch which are collectively known as Gairloch. <br /> <br /> Gairloch is best known as a holiday resort. The Gairloch Hotel was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.<br /> <br /> The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned. At the far end of the beach on the small rocky promontory are the low grass covered walls of a Pictish fort.<br /> <br /> Slioch, meaning spear, at 3210 feet (981 metres) dominates lovely Loch Maree with its many islands which are covered with the remains of ancient native pinewoods. Named after St Maelrubha, who founded a church on one of the islands, the loch is steeped in myth and legend. <br /> <br /> Flowerdale is a glen just inland from Gairloch's harbour at Charlestown. The Mackenzie's of Gairloch have their family seat here at Flowerdale House.<br /> <br /> The lands of Gairloch were once owned by the Macleods and there is a history of feuding, murder and treachery between the Macleods and the Mackenzies. The present house was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the ninth laird and second baronet of Gairloch. It was then named Tigh Digh nam Gorm Leac, Moat House of the Blue Slates, and the glen was known as Baile Mor Glen, Big Village Glen. A profusion of wild flowers grows here which has given rise to the name Flowerdale.