Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Double Scotch from Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0470
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32397
KEYWORDS
postcards
Strath
crofting
raised beaches
Clearances
Baosbheinn
Beinn Alligin
Torridon
Corbetts
Munros
hotels
Queen Victoria
Picts
forts
churches
Matthew and Lawrie
A Double Scotch from Gairloch

This postcards from the 1960s shows four view from around Gairloch: Boishbhein and Ben Alligan from Strath; Gairloch Hotel; the golden sands of Gairloch; Gairloch Bay.

Strath is a crofting township situated in Wester Ross. It is one of several small communities on the shore of Loch Gairloch which only relatively recently have been collectively called Gairloch. During the Clearances people were moved from the inland glens to make way for sheep. They were settled on the coast. At Strath a raised beach provided flat land for subsistence farming which was combined with fishing.

Rising behind Gairloch's beautiful beach are two of the Torridon Mountains,
Baosbhein and Beinn Alligin.

Baosbheinn, at 2870 feet high (875 metres), is a Corbett - a mountain between 2,500 feet and 2,999 feet. The meaning is usually taken to be the wizard's peak.

Beinn Alligin is a Munro - a mountain over 3,000 feet. Its name is usually translated as the jewel and it has two peaks. Sgurr Mhor, the big peak, is 3231 (985 metres) feet and Tom na Grugaich, the hill of the damsel, is 3018 feet (920 metres).

Gairloch is best known as a holiday resort. The Gairloch Hotel was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.

The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned. At the far end of the beach on the small rocky promontory are the low grass covered walls of a Pictish fort. Overlooking the beach is the Free Church, designed by Matthew and Lawrie and built in 1878.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Double Scotch from Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1960s

postcards; Strath; crofting; raised beaches; Clearances; Baosbheinn; Beinn Alligin; Torridon; Corbetts; Munros; hotels; Queen Victoria; Picts; forts; churches; Matthew and Lawrie

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcards from the 1960s shows four view from around Gairloch: Boishbhein and Ben Alligan from Strath; Gairloch Hotel; the golden sands of Gairloch; Gairloch Bay.<br /> <br /> Strath is a crofting township situated in Wester Ross. It is one of several small communities on the shore of Loch Gairloch which only relatively recently have been collectively called Gairloch. During the Clearances people were moved from the inland glens to make way for sheep. They were settled on the coast. At Strath a raised beach provided flat land for subsistence farming which was combined with fishing.<br /> <br /> Rising behind Gairloch's beautiful beach are two of the Torridon Mountains,<br /> Baosbhein and Beinn Alligin. <br /> <br /> Baosbheinn, at 2870 feet high (875 metres), is a Corbett - a mountain between 2,500 feet and 2,999 feet. The meaning is usually taken to be the wizard's peak.<br /> <br /> Beinn Alligin is a Munro - a mountain over 3,000 feet. Its name is usually translated as the jewel and it has two peaks. Sgurr Mhor, the big peak, is 3231 (985 metres) feet and Tom na Grugaich, the hill of the damsel, is 3018 feet (920 metres).<br /> <br /> Gairloch is best known as a holiday resort. The Gairloch Hotel was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.<br /> <br /> The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned. At the far end of the beach on the small rocky promontory are the low grass covered walls of a Pictish fort. Overlooking the beach is the Free Church, designed by Matthew and Lawrie and built in 1878.