Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0473
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32400
KEYWORDS
postcards
Queen Victoria
Loch Maree
Slioch
St. Maelrubha
Picts
forts
Badachro
fishing
Gairloch

This postcard shows four views from around Gairloch: The Sands; Loch Maree; Badachro Bay; Gairloch Bay

The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned and Gairloch is a popular holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.

Slioch, meaning spear, at 3210 feet (981 metres) dominates lovely Loch Maree. The many islands are covered with remnants of ancient native pinewoods. Named after St Maelrubha, who founded a church on one of the islands, the loch is steeped in myth and legend

On a rocky promontory on Gairloch's beach are the low grass covered walls of an ancient Pictish fort. Across the bay is the Gairloch Hotel which was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Beyond are some of the scattered communities which are collectively known as Gairloch.

The township of Badachro, meaning cattle fold clump, is idyllically situated on an inlet of Loch Gairloch. Sheltered by several islands the bay provides a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. At the end of the nineteenth century Badachro was a busy fishing centre. Lobsters, crabs and prawns are still landed here and sent to the markets both in the south and in Europe.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1980s

postcards; Queen Victoria; Loch Maree; Slioch; St. Maelrubha; Picts; forts; Badachro; fishing

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows four views from around Gairloch: The Sands; Loch Maree; Badachro Bay; Gairloch Bay<br /> <br /> The golden sands of Gairloch are renowned and Gairloch is a popular holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch in 1877 while staying at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel and inspired tourists to come in search of clean air, beautiful scenery and outdoor pursuits.<br /> <br /> Slioch, meaning spear, at 3210 feet (981 metres) dominates lovely Loch Maree. The many islands are covered with remnants of ancient native pinewoods. Named after St Maelrubha, who founded a church on one of the islands, the loch is steeped in myth and legend<br /> <br /> On a rocky promontory on Gairloch's beach are the low grass covered walls of an ancient Pictish fort. Across the bay is the Gairloch Hotel which was built in 1872 and had gardens, greenhouses and a bathing machine on the beach. Beyond are some of the scattered communities which are collectively known as Gairloch.<br /> <br /> The township of Badachro, meaning cattle fold clump, is idyllically situated on an inlet of Loch Gairloch. Sheltered by several islands the bay provides a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. At the end of the nineteenth century Badachro was a busy fishing centre. Lobsters, crabs and prawns are still landed here and sent to the markets both in the south and in Europe.