Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairloch Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0478
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32405
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
lochs
beaches
Andrew Maitland
Ross and Macbeth
gardens
greenhouses
tourists
Victorians
Queen Victoria
bathing machines
churches
forts
Picts
settlements
Gairloch Hotel

This postcard shows Gairloch Hotel.

Gairloch Hotel is situated on the shore of Loch Gairloch, just across the road from the beach, with wonderful views across the loch to Skye. On a clear day it is possible to see Harris.

Built in 1872 this impressive Jacobean-style building was designed by Andrew Maitland. It was extended in 1880 by Andrew Maitland & Son and again in 1896 by Ross and Macbeth.

When it was originally built the hotel had gardens and greenhouses, growing a wide variety of vegetables, fruit and flowers. It provided the early Victorian tourists with every comfort including a bathing-machine on the beach. They came in search of health-giving air and outdoor pursuits, inspired by Queen Victoria's visits to the Highlands. The Queen visited Gairloch in 1877 when she stayed at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel.

Just to the right of the hotel is the Free Church, designed by Matthew and Lawrie and built in 1878

In the foreground, on top of the rocky promontory, are the low grass-covered walls of a small Pictish fort, An Dun. Behind on the right is Gairloch's beautiful beach.

In the distance, strung out along the shore, are the settlements of Auchtercairn, Strath, Smithstown, Mial and Lonemore which, together with Charlestown, have in recent times been collectively known as Gairloch.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch Hotel

ROSS: Gairloch

1940s; 1950s

postcards; hotels; lochs; beaches; Andrew Maitland; Ross and Macbeth; gardens; greenhouses; tourists; Victorians; Queen Victoria; bathing machines; churches; forts; Picts; settlements

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Gairloch Hotel. <br /> <br /> Gairloch Hotel is situated on the shore of Loch Gairloch, just across the road from the beach, with wonderful views across the loch to Skye. On a clear day it is possible to see Harris. <br /> <br /> Built in 1872 this impressive Jacobean-style building was designed by Andrew Maitland. It was extended in 1880 by Andrew Maitland & Son and again in 1896 by Ross and Macbeth.<br /> <br /> When it was originally built the hotel had gardens and greenhouses, growing a wide variety of vegetables, fruit and flowers. It provided the early Victorian tourists with every comfort including a bathing-machine on the beach. They came in search of health-giving air and outdoor pursuits, inspired by Queen Victoria's visits to the Highlands. The Queen visited Gairloch in 1877 when she stayed at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel. <br /> <br /> Just to the right of the hotel is the Free Church, designed by Matthew and Lawrie and built in 1878<br /> <br /> In the foreground, on top of the rocky promontory, are the low grass-covered walls of a small Pictish fort, An Dun. Behind on the right is Gairloch's beautiful beach. <br /> <br /> In the distance, strung out along the shore, are the settlements of Auchtercairn, Strath, Smithstown, Mial and Lonemore which, together with Charlestown, have in recent times been collectively known as Gairloch.