Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairloch Pier
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0492
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32419
KEYWORDS
postcards
harbours
Flowerdale
Alexander Mackenzie
Horrisdale
Thor
Norse
Vikings
Charlestown
Lonemore
Smithstown
Mial
Auchtercairn
crofting
fishing
oysters
resorts
Queen Victoria
golf
Gairloch Pier

This postcard shows Gairloch Pier.

Loch Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.

The pier and harbour are situated in a sheltered inlet, Flowerdale Bay, at Charlestown. It takes its name from nearby Flowerdale House which was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the ninth laird and second baronet of Gairloch. The view across the loch is of the southern shore where a number of islands provide a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. The largest island is Eilean Horrisdale. The name comes from Thor, the Norse God of thunder, and is a reminder that the Vikings once held sway along this coast.

It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch - Lonemore, Smithstown, Mial, Strath, Auchtercairn and Charlestown - have been known collectively as Gairloch. Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea. Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two lane carriageway.

Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.

Gairloch though is best known as a holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch during her stay at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel in 1877 and since then tourists have been coming to enjoy the fine beaches and wonderful scenery. Steam ships visited regularly during the nineteenth century and the Gairloch Hotel catered for the visitors every need. The golf course was opened in 1898.

Today there are hotels and inns, self catering cottages and caravan parks. The area particularly attracts hill walkers and wildlife watchers. Despite the summer invasion there is still a feeling of remoteness and of being on the edge of an unspoilt wilderness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch Pier

ROSS: Gairloch

1930s; 1940s

postcards; harbours; Flowerdale; Alexander Mackenzie; Horrisdale; Thor; Norse; Vikings; Charlestown; Lonemore; Smithstown; Mial; Auchtercairn; crofting; fishing; oysters; resorts; Queen Victoria; golf

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Gairloch Pier.<br /> <br /> Loch Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.<br /> <br /> The pier and harbour are situated in a sheltered inlet, Flowerdale Bay, at Charlestown. It takes its name from nearby Flowerdale House which was built in 1738 for Sir Alexander Mackenzie, the ninth laird and second baronet of Gairloch. The view across the loch is of the southern shore where a number of islands provide a safe anchorage for fishing boats and yachts. The largest island is Eilean Horrisdale. The name comes from Thor, the Norse God of thunder, and is a reminder that the Vikings once held sway along this coast.<br /> <br /> It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch - Lonemore, Smithstown, Mial, Strath, Auchtercairn and Charlestown - have been known collectively as Gairloch. Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea. Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two lane carriageway.<br /> <br /> Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.<br /> <br /> Gairloch though is best known as a holiday resort. Queen Victoria visited Gairloch during her stay at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel in 1877 and since then tourists have been coming to enjoy the fine beaches and wonderful scenery. Steam ships visited regularly during the nineteenth century and the Gairloch Hotel catered for the visitors every need. The golf course was opened in 1898. <br /> <br /> Today there are hotels and inns, self catering cottages and caravan parks. The area particularly attracts hill walkers and wildlife watchers. Despite the summer invasion there is still a feeling of remoteness and of being on the edge of an unspoilt wilderness.