Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Sands, Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0503
PLACENAME
Gairloch
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32430
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
beaches
golf
Captain Burgess
churches
Andrew maitland
Leabaidh-na-ba-Baine
Fingal
preachers
Baosbheinn
Torridon
mountains
sandstone
quartzite
The Sands, Gairloch

This postcard shows the sands, Gairloch.

Loch Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.

Behind the beautiful, sandy beach is the golf course. The nine-hole course was designed by Captain Burgess and opened in 1898.

On the left is the Parish Church originally built in 1791-3 but partly rebuilt in 1834. A porch designed by Andrew Maitland & Sons was added in 1834. The church was refurbished in 1908-9.

Opposite the church is a hollow known as Leabaidh-na-Ba-Baine - the bed of the white cow. It is a nearly perfect, natural, oval depression but tradition has it that it was created by Fingal as a bed where his cow could calve. It could hold up to two thousand people and was used for Church services and by visiting preachers.

In the background is Baosbheinn. This peak belongs to the Torridon Mountain range, a remote area of spectacular scenery which lies between Loch Maree and Loch Torridon. The mountains are formed of Torridonian sandstone and some contain white quartzite which can give the impression of snow. Several of the peaks rise to over 3300 feet (1000 metres)

Baosbheinn, at 2870 feet high (875 metres), is a Corbett - a mountain between 2,500 feet and 2,999 feet. The meaning is usually taken to be the wizard's peak.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Sands, Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1910s; 1920s

postcards; lochs; beaches; golf; Captain Burgess; churches; Andrew maitland; Leabaidh-na-ba-Baine; Fingal; preachers; Baosbheinn; Torridon; mountains; sandstone; quartzite

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the sands, Gairloch.<br /> <br /> Loch Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.<br /> <br /> Behind the beautiful, sandy beach is the golf course. The nine-hole course was designed by Captain Burgess and opened in 1898. <br /> <br /> On the left is the Parish Church originally built in 1791-3 but partly rebuilt in 1834. A porch designed by Andrew Maitland & Sons was added in 1834. The church was refurbished in 1908-9.<br /> <br /> Opposite the church is a hollow known as Leabaidh-na-Ba-Baine - the bed of the white cow. It is a nearly perfect, natural, oval depression but tradition has it that it was created by Fingal as a bed where his cow could calve. It could hold up to two thousand people and was used for Church services and by visiting preachers.<br /> <br /> In the background is Baosbheinn. This peak belongs to the Torridon Mountain range, a remote area of spectacular scenery which lies between Loch Maree and Loch Torridon. The mountains are formed of Torridonian sandstone and some contain white quartzite which can give the impression of snow. Several of the peaks rise to over 3300 feet (1000 metres)<br /> <br /> Baosbheinn, at 2870 feet high (875 metres), is a Corbett - a mountain between 2,500 feet and 2,999 feet. The meaning is usually taken to be the wizard's peak.