Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Gairloch

This postcard shows Gairloch.

Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.

On the right is the Gairloch Hotel. Built in 1872 this impressive Jacobean style building was designed by Andrew Maitland. It was extended in 1880 by Andrew Maitland & Son and again in 1896 by Ross and Macbeth.

When it was originally built the hotel had gardens and greenhouses, growing a wide variety of vegetables, fruit and flowers. It provided the early Victorian tourists with every comfort including a bathing-machine on the beach. They came in search of health-giving air and outdoor pursuits, inspired by Queen Victoria's visits to the Highlands. The Queen visited Gairloch in 1877 when she stayed at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel.

Beyond the hotel are the townships of Auchtercairn, Strath, Smithstown, Mial and Strath. It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch, including Charlestown to the south, where the harbour is, have been known collectively as Gairloch. Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea. Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two lane carriageway.

Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.

Today there are hotels and inns, self catering cottages and caravan parks. The area particularly attracts hill walkers and wildlife watchers.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1970s

postcards; hotels; Andrew Maitland; Ross and Macbeth; beaches; gardens; greenhouses; tourists; Victorians; Queen Victoria; bathing machines; crofting; townships; Charlestown; Lonemore; Smithstown; Mial; Auchtercairn; fishing

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Gairloch.<br /> <br /> Gairloch is situated in Wester Ross. Gairloch comes from the Gaelic 'Gear Loch' meaning short loch.<br /> <br /> On the right is the Gairloch Hotel. Built in 1872 this impressive Jacobean style building was designed by Andrew Maitland. It was extended in 1880 by Andrew Maitland & Son and again in 1896 by Ross and Macbeth.<br /> <br /> When it was originally built the hotel had gardens and greenhouses, growing a wide variety of vegetables, fruit and flowers. It provided the early Victorian tourists with every comfort including a bathing-machine on the beach. They came in search of health-giving air and outdoor pursuits, inspired by Queen Victoria's visits to the Highlands. The Queen visited Gairloch in 1877 when she stayed at the nearby Loch Maree Hotel. <br /> <br /> Beyond the hotel are the townships of Auchtercairn, Strath, Smithstown, Mial and Strath. It is only in recent times that the separate settlements along the shore of the loch, including Charlestown to the south, where the harbour is, have been known collectively as Gairloch. Until 1843, when the road was built, almost all access to this remote area was by sea. Only now, at the beginning of the twenty-first century, is the A832 being upgraded from a single track road with passing places to a two lane carriageway.<br /> <br /> Crofting and fishing, particularly cod fishing, used to be the mainstay of the scattered community. Oysters and other shellfish were also harvested for the London market. Crabs, lobsters and prawns are still sent from Gairloch to markets in the south and in Europe.<br /> <br /> Today there are hotels and inns, self catering cottages and caravan parks. The area particularly attracts hill walkers and wildlife watchers.