Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Garve Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0573
PLACENAME
Garve
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32495
KEYWORDS
postcards
hotels
inns
drovers
markets
Dingwall
Ross and Macbeth
mail
fishing
Mackenzies
parliamentary roads
Thomas Telford
Garve Hotel

The original Garve Hotel, the Inn of Garve, was one of the oldest inns in Scotland. Situated on the old parliamentary road it was a well known stopping place for drovers taking their cattle from the west to markets in the south.

The present building dates from the nineteenth century. It was enlarged in 1888 by the architects Ross and Macbeth. The coach service stopped here and a mail service operated from the hotel to Ullapool. The hotel had its own farm. From the mid-nineteenth century until 1966 was in the hands of the Mackenzie family. It is a well-known fishing hotel

Parliamentary roads were built in the early nineteenth century as a result of a Parliamentary Commission to improve communications in the Highlands. Thomas Telford was the surveyor and engineer responsible for many of the roads and bridges.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Garve Hotel

ROSS: Contin

1950s

postcards; hotels; inns; drovers; markets; Dingwall; Ross and Macbeth; mail; fishing; Mackenzies; parliamentary roads; Thomas Telford

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The original Garve Hotel, the Inn of Garve, was one of the oldest inns in Scotland. Situated on the old parliamentary road it was a well known stopping place for drovers taking their cattle from the west to markets in the south. <br /> <br /> The present building dates from the nineteenth century. It was enlarged in 1888 by the architects Ross and Macbeth. The coach service stopped here and a mail service operated from the hotel to Ullapool. The hotel had its own farm. From the mid-nineteenth century until 1966 was in the hands of the Mackenzie family. It is a well-known fishing hotel<br /> <br /> Parliamentary roads were built in the early nineteenth century as a result of a Parliamentary Commission to improve communications in the Highlands. Thomas Telford was the surveyor and engineer responsible for many of the roads and bridges.