Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Garve School House
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0575
PLACENAME
Garve
DISTRICT
Miur of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32497
KEYWORDS
postcards
schools
Blackwater River
burial grounds
chapels
St. Fionn
Garve School House

This postcard shows Garve school house.

Garve is a small settlement in Ross and Cromarty. The name comes from the Gaelic gairbh meaning rough place.

Garve, or Strathgarve, school is situated on the banks of the Blackwater River. A report in the school log book for June 6th 1914 notes that the closeness of the building to the river and the children's free access to the bank "cannot be considered satisfactory or safe" and that something would have be done to protect the pupils from the danger. This postcard dates from the 1920s and it looks as if a new fence has been erected between the school and the bank. The school is still a primary school.

Beside the school is a very small, walled burial ground which was possibly the site of a chapel dedicated to St. Fionn.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Garve School House

ROSS: Contin

1920s

postcards; schools; Blackwater River; burial grounds; chapels; St. Fionn

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Garve school house. <br /> <br /> Garve is a small settlement in Ross and Cromarty. The name comes from the Gaelic gairbh meaning rough place. <br /> <br /> Garve, or Strathgarve, school is situated on the banks of the Blackwater River. A report in the school log book for June 6th 1914 notes that the closeness of the building to the river and the children's free access to the bank "cannot be considered satisfactory or safe" and that something would have be done to protect the pupils from the danger. This postcard dates from the 1920s and it looks as if a new fence has been erected between the school and the bank. The school is still a primary school.<br /> <br /> Beside the school is a very small, walled burial ground which was possibly the site of a chapel dedicated to St. Fionn.