Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Little Garve Bridge, Garve
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0581
PLACENAME
Garve
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32503
KEYWORDS
postcards
Black Water
Jacobites
military roads
Wade
Caulfield
drovers
drove roads
Little Garve Bridge, Garve

This postcard shows Little Garve Bridge, Garve.

Little Garve is in Ross and Cromarty, two miles west of Garve

This eighteenth century bridge, with its elegant arches and high hump, crosses a deep chasm where the Black Water River tumbles dramatically over rocks and boulders.

The bridge carried the military road from Contin to Poolewe, although the road has mostly disappeared.

In the aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion a massive road building programme, under General Wade, was undertaken in Scotland allowing easier troop movements in order to suppress the population. The military bridge at Little Garve was constructed around 1762 and is thought to be the work of Major Caulfield who succeeded General Wade.

Little Garve was a resting place for drovers taking cattle from the west to markets in the south. Cattle were shoed here so that their feet would cope with the long miles of walking on harder roads. The drovers went on to gather at Muir of Ord, where a big fair was held, before heading to Crieff or Falkirk. It is still possible to walk the old drove road, known as the Fish Merchant's route, for six miles from Little Garve to Aultguish Inn.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Little Garve Bridge, Garve

ROSS: Contin

1920s

postcards; Black Water; Jacobites; military roads; Wade; Caulfield; drovers; drove roads

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Little Garve Bridge, Garve.<br /> <br /> Little Garve is in Ross and Cromarty, two miles west of Garve <br /> <br /> This eighteenth century bridge, with its elegant arches and high hump, crosses a deep chasm where the Black Water River tumbles dramatically over rocks and boulders.<br /> <br /> The bridge carried the military road from Contin to Poolewe, although the road has mostly disappeared.<br /> <br /> In the aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion a massive road building programme, under General Wade, was undertaken in Scotland allowing easier troop movements in order to suppress the population. The military bridge at Little Garve was constructed around 1762 and is thought to be the work of Major Caulfield who succeeded General Wade.<br /> <br /> Little Garve was a resting place for drovers taking cattle from the west to markets in the south. Cattle were shoed here so that their feet would cope with the long miles of walking on harder roads. The drovers went on to gather at Muir of Ord, where a big fair was held, before heading to Crieff or Falkirk. It is still possible to walk the old drove road, known as the Fish Merchant's route, for six miles from Little Garve to Aultguish Inn.