Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gruinard Hill coast road between Ullapool and Gairloch
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0594
PLACENAME
Gruinard
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32515
KEYWORDS
postcards
Cabeg
Torridon
biological weapons
anthrax
Gruinard Hill coast road between Ullapool and Gairloch

This postcard shows the Gruinard Hill coast road between Ullapool and Gairloch

The road ascends steep Gruinard, or Cabeg, Hill at the south end of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea on the coast of Wester Ross. Gruinard Bay has beautiful beaches of pinkish sand from Torridon rock. Gruinard, from the Norse, means either green or shallow bay. It is both. Little Gruinard River, which flows from Fionn Loch in to the bay, marks the boundary between the parishes of Gairloch and Lochbroom.

Further out in the bay is Gruinard Island which, in 1942, was a testing site for biological weapons using anthrax. Anthrax can live in the soil for many years. It wasn't until 1990, after several attempts at decontamination, that the island was declared safe. Sheep now living on the island remain anthrax free.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gruinard Hill coast road between Ullapool and Gairloch

ROSS: Gairloch

1940s

postcards; Cabeg; Torridon; biological weapons; anthrax

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Gruinard Hill coast road between Ullapool and Gairloch<br /> <br /> The road ascends steep Gruinard, or Cabeg, Hill at the south end of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea on the coast of Wester Ross. Gruinard Bay has beautiful beaches of pinkish sand from Torridon rock. Gruinard, from the Norse, means either green or shallow bay. It is both. Little Gruinard River, which flows from Fionn Loch in to the bay, marks the boundary between the parishes of Gairloch and Lochbroom.<br /> <br /> Further out in the bay is Gruinard Island which, in 1942, was a testing site for biological weapons using anthrax. Anthrax can live in the soil for many years. It wasn't until 1990, after several attempts at decontamination, that the island was declared safe. Sheep now living on the island remain anthrax free.