Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cave Rock, Gruinard Bay
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0601
PLACENAME
Gruinard Bay
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32522
KEYWORDS
postcards
settlements
Gruinard
Cabeg
Mellon Udrigle
Opinan
George Mackenzie
St Columba
chapels
caves
Beinn Ghobhlach
Cave Rock, Gruinard Bay

This postcard shows Cave Rock, Gruinard Bay.

This precariously perched rock, on the shore below Laide, was blown over during a severe gale in 1950.

Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends.

At Laide there are the ruins of a chapel. This building dates from 1713 when George Mackenzie of Gruinard either restored or rebuilt an earlier chapel which was believed to have been built by St. Columba. In the nineteenth century the chapel fell in to disuse and services were held in a nearby cave.

In the distance, on the right, is Beinn Ghobhlach, meaning horned or forked, a mountain on the Scoraig Peninsula between Little Loch Broom and Loch Broom. At 2083 (635metres) feet it may not be one of Scotland's highest peaks but its isolation makes it very impressive.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cave Rock, Gruinard Bay

ROSS: Gairloch

1950s

postcards; settlements; Gruinard; Cabeg; Mellon Udrigle; Opinan; George Mackenzie; St Columba; chapels; caves; Beinn Ghobhlach

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Cave Rock, Gruinard Bay.<br /> <br /> This precariously perched rock, on the shore below Laide, was blown over during a severe gale in 1950.<br /> <br /> Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends. <br /> <br /> At Laide there are the ruins of a chapel. This building dates from 1713 when George Mackenzie of Gruinard either restored or rebuilt an earlier chapel which was believed to have been built by St. Columba. In the nineteenth century the chapel fell in to disuse and services were held in a nearby cave.<br /> <br /> In the distance, on the right, is Beinn Ghobhlach, meaning horned or forked, a mountain on the Scoraig Peninsula between Little Loch Broom and Loch Broom. At 2083 (635metres) feet it may not be one of Scotland's highest peaks but its isolation makes it very impressive.