Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bay and Gruinard Hill in the Distance, Laide
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0602
PLACENAME
Gruinard Bay
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32523
KEYWORDS
postcards
Cabeg
Mellon Udrigle
chapels
George Mackenzie
St Columba
caves
Opinan
Bay and Gruinard Hill in the Distance, Laide

This postcard shows Gruinard Bay and Hill in the distance, Laide.

Gruinard Bay is an inlet of the sea on the coast of Wester Ross. It has beautiful beaches of pinkish sand from Torridon rock. Gruinard, from the Norse, means either green or shallow bay. Gruinard Bay is both. Little Gruinard River, which flows from Fionn Loch in to the bay, marks the boundary between the parishes of Gairloch and Lochbroom.

Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends.

At Laide there are the ruins of a chapel. This building dates from 1713 when George Mackenzie of Gruinard either restored or rebuilt an earlier chapel which was believed to have been built by St. Columba. In the nineteenth century the chapel fell in to disuse and services were held in a nearby cave.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bay and Gruinard Hill in the Distance, Laide

ROSS: Gairloch

1940s

postcards; Cabeg; Mellon Udrigle; chapels; George Mackenzie; St Columba; caves; Opinan

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Gruinard Bay and Hill in the distance, Laide.<br /> <br /> Gruinard Bay is an inlet of the sea on the coast of Wester Ross. It has beautiful beaches of pinkish sand from Torridon rock. Gruinard, from the Norse, means either green or shallow bay. Gruinard Bay is both. Little Gruinard River, which flows from Fionn Loch in to the bay, marks the boundary between the parishes of Gairloch and Lochbroom.<br /> <br /> Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends. <br /> <br /> At Laide there are the ruins of a chapel. This building dates from 1713 when George Mackenzie of Gruinard either restored or rebuilt an earlier chapel which was believed to have been built by St. Columba. In the nineteenth century the chapel fell in to disuse and services were held in a nearby cave.