Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Applecross Church
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0643
PLACENAME
Applecross
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Applecross
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32563
KEYWORDS
Applecross church
wester ross
Applecross Church

The church in Applecross village.

The early monastery was located around the site of the parish church (built 1817). A large, unfinished cross-slab standing in the churchyard and three extremely finely carved fragments of another (or more than one?) preserved within the church are evidence of the early monastery.

The surrounding district is known as a' Chomraich 'the sanctuary' in Gaelic. Its boundaries were once marked by crosses. The stub of one, destroyed in 1870, survives among farm buildings at Camusterrach.

The name Applecross is at least 1300 years old and is used locally to refer to the 19th century village with the pub and post office, lying on the small Applecross Bay, facing the Inner Sound, on the opposite side of which lies the Inner Hebridean island of Raasay.

The small River Applecross flows into the bay at Applecross. Applecross is also the name of the local estate.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Applecross Church

ROSS: Applecross

1920s; 1930s

Applecross church; wester ross;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The church in Applecross village.<br /> <br /> The early monastery was located around the site of the parish church (built 1817). A large, unfinished cross-slab standing in the churchyard and three extremely finely carved fragments of another (or more than one?) preserved within the church are evidence of the early monastery. <br /> <br /> The surrounding district is known as a' Chomraich 'the sanctuary' in Gaelic. Its boundaries were once marked by crosses. The stub of one, destroyed in 1870, survives among farm buildings at Camusterrach.<br /> <br /> The name Applecross is at least 1300 years old and is used locally to refer to the 19th century village with the pub and post office, lying on the small Applecross Bay, facing the Inner Sound, on the opposite side of which lies the Inner Hebridean island of Raasay. <br /> <br /> The small River Applecross flows into the bay at Applecross. Applecross is also the name of the local estate.