Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge over River Averon, Alness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0668
PLACENAME
Alness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32588
KEYWORDS
bridge
river averon
alness
Bridge over River Averon, Alness

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.

Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built this bridge over the River Averon.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge over River Averon, Alness

ROSS

1910s

bridge; river averon; alness

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.<br /> <br /> Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built this bridge over the River Averon.