Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Teannich House, Alness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0677
PLACENAME
Alness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Alness
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32597
KEYWORDS
teannich
Alness
Teannich House, Alness

Teaninich House, dated 1784, although it probably held an earlier core; former seat of the Munros of Teaninich (or Culmalachie, the old word for Teaninich).

Hugh Munro owned land in Alness and Kiltearn according to the Rent Roll of the Seriffdom of Inverness, in 1644 with a value of £440.16 (Scots). The Munros of Teaninich acquired the Milntown of Alness in February 1660 for £515.12.6 (Sterling). In 1786 Captain James Munro sold the lands of Wester Teaninich, Ballachraggan and Culcraggie to Sir Hector Munro of Novar, reserving the superiority rights for the mill at Teaninich (some say this was a snuff mill). Supposedly Teaninich Castle was in the wall of an old steading and pre dated Teaninich House. The remains of this castle were blown down early in the 19th Century and it is possible that stone from this castle was used to build the mansion.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Teannich House, Alness

ROSS: Alness

1910s

teannich; Alness;

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Teaninich House, dated 1784, although it probably held an earlier core; former seat of the Munros of Teaninich (or Culmalachie, the old word for Teaninich). <br /> <br /> Hugh Munro owned land in Alness and Kiltearn according to the Rent Roll of the Seriffdom of Inverness, in 1644 with a value of £440.16 (Scots). The Munros of Teaninich acquired the Milntown of Alness in February 1660 for £515.12.6 (Sterling). In 1786 Captain James Munro sold the lands of Wester Teaninich, Ballachraggan and Culcraggie to Sir Hector Munro of Novar, reserving the superiority rights for the mill at Teaninich (some say this was a snuff mill). Supposedly Teaninich Castle was in the wall of an old steading and pre dated Teaninich House. The remains of this castle were blown down early in the 19th Century and it is possible that stone from this castle was used to build the mansion.