Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Alness and Fyrish Hill
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0683
PLACENAME
Alness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS
DATE OF IMAGE
1933
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32603
KEYWORDS
Alness
averon
fyrish hill
Alness and Fyrish Hill

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.

Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built a bridge over the River Averon.

Fyrish Hill, sometimes called Cnoc Fyrish, is 1478 feet high and at its summit is Fyrish Monument, reputedly an imitation of the gates of Negapataum in India. Sir Hector Munro of Novar had it built in 1792 to provide work for unemployed workers in the area. There are three other structures on and around Fyrish and the original plan was to have them all linked by a wall.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Alness and Fyrish Hill

ROSS

1930s

Alness; averon; fyrish hill

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.<br /> <br /> Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built a bridge over the River Averon.<br /> <br /> Fyrish Hill, sometimes called Cnoc Fyrish, is 1478 feet high and at its summit is Fyrish Monument, reputedly an imitation of the gates of Negapataum in India. Sir Hector Munro of Novar had it built in 1792 to provide work for unemployed workers in the area. There are three other structures on and around Fyrish and the original plan was to have them all linked by a wall.