Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West High Street, Alness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0685
PLACENAME
Alness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32605
KEYWORDS
Alness
averon
West High Street, Alness

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.

Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built a bridge over the River Averon.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West High Street, Alness

ROSS: Rosskeen

Alness; averon

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Alness is a town in Ross and Cromarty, Highland, Scotland.<br /> <br /> Divided by the River Averon, it is in two parishes, Alness in the west and Rosskeen in the east. It existed as a port on the Cromarty Firth by 1690, but really started to grow as a settlement either side of a ferry crossing over the river on the route of the main road built in 1715. In 1810 Telford dramatically improved the quality of the road, and built a bridge over the River Averon.