Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Carron from Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0720
PLACENAME
Lochcarron
DISTRICT
Lochcarron
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochcarron
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32641
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
sea lochs
castles
archaeological sites
Loch Carron from Plockton

This postcard shows Loch Carron from Plockton in Wester Ross. The ruins of Strome Castle can be seen to the right on a promontory jutting into the loch, about 6 km south-west of the village of Lochcarron. It was in existence by 1472, with the chief of Clan Cameron in residence, but passed by descent to the Macdonalds of Glengarry. The castle was captured and virtually destroyed in 1602 by Colin Mackenzie of Kintail.

Loch Carron measures five miles by three quarters of a mile and runs northeast to southwest, flowing to the narrows at Stromeferry. At the head of the loch sit the village of Lochcarron and Glen Carron, home to Achnashellach Forest. The hills of Torridon and Applecross are situated nearby

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Carron from Plockton

ROSS: Lochcarron

1940s

postcards; lochs; sea lochs; castles; archaeological sites

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Loch Carron from Plockton in Wester Ross. The ruins of Strome Castle can be seen to the right on a promontory jutting into the loch, about 6 km south-west of the village of Lochcarron. It was in existence by 1472, with the chief of Clan Cameron in residence, but passed by descent to the Macdonalds of Glengarry. The castle was captured and virtually destroyed in 1602 by Colin Mackenzie of Kintail.<br /> <br /> Loch Carron measures five miles by three quarters of a mile and runs northeast to southwest, flowing to the narrows at Stromeferry. At the head of the loch sit the village of Lochcarron and Glen Carron, home to Achnashellach Forest. The hills of Torridon and Applecross are situated nearby