Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle and Dornie Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0785
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32703
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
Jacobites
castles
ferries
Aird Ferry
Dornie Ferry
ferry boats
Eilean Donan Castle and Dornie Ferry

This postcard shows a view of Eilean Donan Castle at Loch Duich in Ross-shire. In the foreground is the Aird/Dornie Ferry. The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig, at least until the beginning of the 20th century.

Eilean Donan Castle sits at the mouth of Loch Duich. The small island may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was held by the Mackenzies of Kintail for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle and Dornie Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

postcards; lochs; Jacobites; castles; ferries; Aird Ferry; Dornie Ferry; ferry boats

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Eilean Donan Castle at Loch Duich in Ross-shire. In the foreground is the Aird/Dornie Ferry. The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig, at least until the beginning of the 20th century.<br /> <br /> Eilean Donan Castle sits at the mouth of Loch Duich. The small island may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century, but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was held by the Mackenzies of Kintail for some 400 years, but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland