Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Eilean Donan Castle and Dornie Ferry

This postcard shows the restored Eilean Donan Castle and the Dornie Ferry at Loch Duich.

The small island of Eilean Donan may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was held by the Mackenzies of Kintail for some 400 years but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland

Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve. The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation the ferry ran from 8am to 8pm daily including Sundays and Bank holidays.

A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry, and was opened as a Toll bridge on 30th April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle and Dornie Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

postcards; lochs; castles; Mackenzies; Jacobites; ruins; castle; ferries; ferry; Dornie Ferry; Aird Ferry; British Fisheries Society; Loch Long; toll bridge; ferry boats

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the restored Eilean Donan Castle and the Dornie Ferry at Loch Duich. <br /> <br /> The small island of Eilean Donan may have been inhabited from as far back as the 3rd century but the original castle was built in the 13th century. It was held by the Mackenzies of Kintail for some 400 years but was destroyed by government naval forces in 1719 when occupied by Spanish and Jacobite troops. The present castle was reconstructed from the ruins by Lt. Colonel MacRae-Gilstrap and completed in 1932, becoming surely one of the most photographed castles in Scotland<br /> <br /> Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve. The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation the ferry ran from 8am to 8pm daily including Sundays and Bank holidays. <br /> <br /> A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry, and was opened as a Toll bridge on 30th April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990