Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Ferry, Loch Duich
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0805
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32723
KEYWORDS
postcards
ferries
Aird Ferry
toll bridges
bridges
Dornie Ferry, Loch Duich

This postcard shows the Dornie Ferry at Loch Duich. The small village of Dornie is situated at the foot of Loch Long and Loch Duich, and was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station in 1794 by the British Fisheries Society.

Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve.The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig, at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation the ferry ran from 8 am to 8 pm daily, including Sundays and Bank holidays.

A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry and was opened as a toll bridge on 30 April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Ferry, Loch Duich

ROSS: Lochalsh

1900s; 1910s

postcards; ferries; Aird Ferry; toll bridges; bridges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Dornie Ferry at Loch Duich. The small village of Dornie is situated at the foot of Loch Long and Loch Duich, and was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station in 1794 by the British Fisheries Society. <br /> <br /> Dornie was connected to Lochalsh by means of a ferry that crossed to Ardelve.The Aird or Dornie ferry operated from Ardelve to both Dornie, and across Loch Duich to Totaig, at least until the beginning of the 20th century. In the final year of operation the ferry ran from 8 am to 8 pm daily, including Sundays and Bank holidays. <br /> <br /> A bridge across Loch Long from Dornie to Ardelve replaced the ferry and was opened as a toll bridge on 30 April 1940. The tolls were abolished in 1946 and a more modern bridge was subsequently built in 1990