Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Muir of Ord from the distillery
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0811
PLACENAME
Muir of Ord
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Urray
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32728
KEYWORDS
postcards
Tarradale
railways
Inverness and Ross-shire Railway
whisky
distilling
Kessock Bridge
Muir of Ord from the distillery

This postcard shows the village of Muir of Ord from the distillery in Easter Ross. It is situated three miles north of Beauly and 14 miles northwest of Inverness.

The settlement once known as Tarradale grew extensively during the 19th century as a consequence of whisky distilling and road and rail transport. A railway station was constructed at Tarradale in 1862, as part of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway. However, the railway named the station 'Muir of Ord' after the site of cattle markets that took place within a mile of the settlement. Over time, the name Tarradale was faded out and replaced by Muir of Ord. For several years the village was situated on the A9 route north of Inverness but this changed with the construction of the Kessock Bridge in 1982. Today, despite the village being a quieter place, Muir of Ord's industries still include tourism, distilling and construction

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Muir of Ord from the distillery

ROSS: Urray

1970s

postcards; Tarradale; railways; Inverness and Ross-shire Railway; whisky; distilling; Kessock Bridge

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Muir of Ord from the distillery in Easter Ross. It is situated three miles north of Beauly and 14 miles northwest of Inverness. <br /> <br /> The settlement once known as Tarradale grew extensively during the 19th century as a consequence of whisky distilling and road and rail transport. A railway station was constructed at Tarradale in 1862, as part of the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway. However, the railway named the station 'Muir of Ord' after the site of cattle markets that took place within a mile of the settlement. Over time, the name Tarradale was faded out and replaced by Muir of Ord. For several years the village was situated on the A9 route north of Inverness but this changed with the construction of the Kessock Bridge in 1982. Today, despite the village being a quieter place, Muir of Ord's industries still include tourism, distilling and construction