Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kessock Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0820
PLACENAME
North Kessock
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Knockbain
DATE OF IMAGE
PERIOD
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32737
KEYWORDS
postcards
Sir William Fettes
Kessock Ferry
Kessock Bridge
ferries
Black Isle
Eilean Dubh
Inbhir Nis
Rosehaugh
ferry boats
Kessock Ferry

This postcard shows a view of the Kessock Ferry. The ferry is a stretch of water across the strait between the Moray and Beauly Firths, opposite Inverness.

In 1825 Sir William Fettes bought the estate of Redcastle, on the Black Isle, for £135,000. This purchase included the rights to operate the ferry at Kessock, linking Inverness with the Black Isle. Within three years he had built new piers and by the 1900s steam-powered boats had been introduced on the route.

In 1939 Inverness Town Council and Ross and Cromarty County Council took control of the service and by the late 1940s the ferries were able to transport vehicles across the water. The first of these was the 'Eilean Dubh', capable of carrying eight cars. The 'Inbhir Nis', with a four-vehicle capacity, was added in the 1950s and a purpose-built, roll-on roll-off ferry 'Rosehaugh' was introduced in 1967. This resulted in the 'Eilean Dubh' being relegated to the role of relief vessel.

The ferry remained in the hands of the two councils until the Kessock Bridge replaced the ferry in 1982

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kessock Ferry

ROSS: Knockbain

postcards; Sir William Fettes; Kessock Ferry; Kessock Bridge; ferries; Black Isle; Eilean Dubh; Inbhir Nis; Rosehaugh; ferry boats

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the Kessock Ferry. The ferry is a stretch of water across the strait between the Moray and Beauly Firths, opposite Inverness.<br /> <br /> In 1825 Sir William Fettes bought the estate of Redcastle, on the Black Isle, for £135,000. This purchase included the rights to operate the ferry at Kessock, linking Inverness with the Black Isle. Within three years he had built new piers and by the 1900s steam-powered boats had been introduced on the route.<br /> <br /> In 1939 Inverness Town Council and Ross and Cromarty County Council took control of the service and by the late 1940s the ferries were able to transport vehicles across the water. The first of these was the 'Eilean Dubh', capable of carrying eight cars. The 'Inbhir Nis', with a four-vehicle capacity, was added in the 1950s and a purpose-built, roll-on roll-off ferry 'Rosehaugh' was introduced in 1967. This resulted in the 'Eilean Dubh' being relegated to the role of relief vessel.<br /> <br /> The ferry remained in the hands of the two councils until the Kessock Bridge replaced the ferry in 1982