Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Views of North Kessock, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0822
PLACENAME
North Kessock
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kintail
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32739
KEYWORDS
postcards
North Kessock
Dominican monasteries
St Duthac Church
Sir William Fettes
ferries
ferry boats
ferry boats
Views of North Kessock, Black Isle

This postcard shows several views of North Kessock, on the Black Isle.

The village of North Kessock is thought to have existed at least since the 1430s, when the Dominican monastery at Inverness was given permission to operate a ferry to the Black Isle. This was part of the pilgrim route that travelled north to St Duthac Church in Tain.

In 1825 Sir William Fettes bought the estate of Redcastle, on the Black Isle, for £135,000. This purchase included the rights to operate the ferry at Kessock. Within three years he had built new piers and by the 1900s steam-powered boats had been introduced on the route. The Kessock Ferry was taken out of operation in 1982, when it was replaced by the Kessock Bridge

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Views of North Kessock, Black Isle

ROSS: Kintail

1960s

postcards; North Kessock; Dominican monasteries; St Duthac Church; Sir William Fettes; ferries; ferry boats; ferry boats

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows several views of North Kessock, on the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> The village of North Kessock is thought to have existed at least since the 1430s, when the Dominican monastery at Inverness was given permission to operate a ferry to the Black Isle. This was part of the pilgrim route that travelled north to St Duthac Church in Tain.<br /> <br /> In 1825 Sir William Fettes bought the estate of Redcastle, on the Black Isle, for £135,000. This purchase included the rights to operate the ferry at Kessock. Within three years he had built new piers and by the 1900s steam-powered boats had been introduced on the route. The Kessock Ferry was taken out of operation in 1982, when it was replaced by the Kessock Bridge