Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
South end of Munlochy
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0826
PLACENAME
Munlochy
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Knockbain
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32743
KEYWORDS
postcards
Munlochy Bay
Highland Railway
Fort George
stone quarrying
Kessock Bridge
Inverness
bird sanctuary
South end of Munlochy

This postcard shows the south end of the village of Munlochy. It is situated to the west of Avoch, at the head of Munlochy Bay on the Black Isle.

It is unclear at what point a settlement occurred here but it is believed that its growth was partially due to workers quarrying stone for the construction of Fort George, in the 1760s. The village went through a second phase of development with the building of a railway station at Munlochy, on the Fortrose branch of the Highland Railway in 1894. The station closed in 1951 but the village continued to grow with the building of the Kessock Bridge in 1982.

The bridge placed Munlochy just six miles from Inverness, well within commuting distance to the developing Highland Capital. Today, Munlochy benefits from both its geographical position and the significance of Munlochy Bay as a bird breeding sanctuary

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

South end of Munlochy

ROSS: Knockbain

1940s

postcards; Munlochy Bay; Highland Railway; Fort George; stone quarrying; Kessock Bridge; Inverness; bird sanctuary

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the south end of the village of Munlochy. It is situated to the west of Avoch, at the head of Munlochy Bay on the Black Isle. <br /> <br /> It is unclear at what point a settlement occurred here but it is believed that its growth was partially due to workers quarrying stone for the construction of Fort George, in the 1760s. The village went through a second phase of development with the building of a railway station at Munlochy, on the Fortrose branch of the Highland Railway in 1894. The station closed in 1951 but the village continued to grow with the building of the Kessock Bridge in 1982. <br /> <br /> The bridge placed Munlochy just six miles from Inverness, well within commuting distance to the developing Highland Capital. Today, Munlochy benefits from both its geographical position and the significance of Munlochy Bay as a bird breeding sanctuary