Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0842
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1960s; 1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32760
KEYWORDS
postcards
castles
Alexander Ross
Sir Alexander Matheson
Lochalsh Estate
hospitals
navy
Royal Navy
Hamiltons
Sir Daniel Hamilton
Lady Hamilton
Duncraig Castle, Plockton

Duncraig Castle, a large baronial mansion designed by Alexander Ross, was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The house is 1.1km east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval hospital for the duration of the war. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. This operated until 1989, after which the castle remained empty

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s; 1970s

postcards; castles; Alexander Ross; Sir Alexander Matheson; Lochalsh Estate; hospitals; navy; Royal Navy; Hamiltons; Sir Daniel Hamilton; Lady Hamilton

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Duncraig Castle, a large baronial mansion designed by Alexander Ross, was built in 1866 for Sir Alexander Matheson who had bought the Lochalsh Estate in 1851. The house is 1.1km east of Plockton overlooking Loch Carron. It was owned by Sir Daniel and Lady Hamilton when it was requisitioned in 1939 for use as a Royal Naval hospital for the duration of the war. After Sir Daniel Hamilton's death, Lady Hamilton gifted the castle and contents to the education authority for use as a domestic science college. This operated until 1989, after which the castle remained empty