Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Carron and Duncraig Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0844
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32762
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
sea lochs
Lochcarron
castles
Duncraig Crags
Sir Alexander Matheson
Lochalsh Estate
schools
Loch Carron and Duncraig Castle

This postcard shows Loch Carron and Duncraig Castle in Ross-shire. The castle is situated beneath the Duncraig Crags overlooking Plockton bay. It was built in 1866 by Sir Alexander Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate. The castle was later used as a private school.

The sea loch of Loch Carron measures five miles by three quarters of a mile and runs northeast to southwest, flowing to the narrows at Stromeferry. At the head of the loch sits the village of Lochcarron and Glen Carron, home to Achnashellach Forest. The hills of Torridon and Applecross are situated nearby

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Carron and Duncraig Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

postcards; lochs; sea lochs; Lochcarron; castles; Duncraig Crags; Sir Alexander Matheson; Lochalsh Estate; schools

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Loch Carron and Duncraig Castle in Ross-shire. The castle is situated beneath the Duncraig Crags overlooking Plockton bay. It was built in 1866 by Sir Alexander Matheson, owner of the Lochalsh Estate. The castle was later used as a private school.<br /> <br /> The sea loch of Loch Carron measures five miles by three quarters of a mile and runs northeast to southwest, flowing to the narrows at Stromeferry. At the head of the loch sits the village of Lochcarron and Glen Carron, home to Achnashellach Forest. The hills of Torridon and Applecross are situated nearby