Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0846
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32764
KEYWORDS
postcards
lighthouses
islands
lochs
Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron

This postcard shows Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron in Ross-shire. The lighthouse sits on a small island known as Eilean-a-Chait at the entrance to the loch. The lighthouse was built around 1880 and a small cottage was added for the lighthouse keeper. As this was only big enough to accommodate one person, a second house was built for the keeper's wife on the nearby island of Eilean-an-Duine. When the tide is low, it is possible to wade between the two islands.

The lighthouse was deactivated during the 1920s and the buildings on both islands are now privately owned. A family now occupies the house on Eilean-an-Duine but the lighthouse is closed and inaccessible to the public

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

postcards; lighthouses; islands; lochs

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Plockton Lighthouse and Loch Carron in Ross-shire. The lighthouse sits on a small island known as Eilean-a-Chait at the entrance to the loch. The lighthouse was built around 1880 and a small cottage was added for the lighthouse keeper. As this was only big enough to accommodate one person, a second house was built for the keeper's wife on the nearby island of Eilean-an-Duine. When the tide is low, it is possible to wade between the two islands. <br /> <br /> The lighthouse was deactivated during the 1920s and the buildings on both islands are now privately owned. A family now occupies the house on Eilean-an-Duine but the lighthouse is closed and inaccessible to the public