Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean-a-Chat, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0847
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32765
KEYWORDS
postcards
lighthouses
Eilean-a-Chait
Eilean-an-Duine
Eilean-a-Chat, Plockton

This postcard shows the island of Eilean-a-Chait at Plockton. Plockton Lighthouse sits on the island. Built around 1880, there was a small cottage built onto the lighthouse tower for the lighthouse keeper. As this was only big enough to accommodate one person a second house was built for the keeper's wife on the nearby island of Eilean-an-Duine. When the tide is low it is possible to wade between the two islands. The lighthouse was de-activated during the 1920s and the buildings on both islands are now privately owned. A family now occupies the house on Eilean-an-Duine but the lighthouse is closed and inaccessible to the public

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean-a-Chat, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s; 1940s

postcards; lighthouses; Eilean-a-Chait; Eilean-an-Duine

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the island of Eilean-a-Chait at Plockton. Plockton Lighthouse sits on the island. Built around 1880, there was a small cottage built onto the lighthouse tower for the lighthouse keeper. As this was only big enough to accommodate one person a second house was built for the keeper's wife on the nearby island of Eilean-an-Duine. When the tide is low it is possible to wade between the two islands. The lighthouse was de-activated during the 1920s and the buildings on both islands are now privately owned. A family now occupies the house on Eilean-an-Duine but the lighthouse is closed and inaccessible to the public