Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton and Duncraig
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0849
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32767
KEYWORDS
postcards
Am Ploc
crofting
fishing
Highland Clearances
Sir Hugh Innes
shipbuilding
Sir Alexander Matheson
Lochalsh Estate
Duncraig Castle
Gulf Stream
palm trees
Duncraig Crags
Plockton and Duncraig

This postcard shows the village of Plockton and Duncraig in Ross-shire. In the far distance is Duncraig Castle (centre right), situated beneath the Duncraig Crags overlooking Plockton bay. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle. The castle was later used as a private school.

During the 1700s Plockton was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. However, as a consequence of the Highland Clearances the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794.

The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton and Duncraig

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

postcards; Am Ploc; crofting; fishing; Highland Clearances; Sir Hugh Innes; shipbuilding; Sir Alexander Matheson; Lochalsh Estate; Duncraig Castle; Gulf Stream; palm trees; Duncraig Crags

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Plockton and Duncraig in Ross-shire. In the far distance is Duncraig Castle (centre right), situated beneath the Duncraig Crags overlooking Plockton bay. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle. The castle was later used as a private school.<br /> <br /> During the 1700s Plockton was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. However, as a consequence of the Highland Clearances the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794. <br /> <br /> The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing