Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0854
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32772
KEYWORDS
postcards
Am Ploc
crofting
fishing
Highland Clearances
Sir Hugh Innes
shipbuilding
Sir Alexander Matheson
Lochalsh Estate
Duncraig Castle
Gulf Stream
palm trees
Plockton

This postcard shows the village of Plockton in Ross-shire. The village enjoys a mild climate due to the presence of the Gulf Stream.

During the 1700s the settlement was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. As a consequence of the Highland Clearances the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794.

The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking Plockton bay

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

postcards; Am Ploc; crofting; fishing; Highland Clearances; Sir Hugh Innes; shipbuilding; Sir Alexander Matheson; Lochalsh Estate; Duncraig Castle; Gulf Stream; palm trees

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Plockton in Ross-shire. The village enjoys a mild climate due to the presence of the Gulf Stream.<br /> <br /> During the 1700s the settlement was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. As a consequence of the Highland Clearances the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794. <br /> <br /> The new owner of the estate in 1808, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig castle overlooking Plockton bay