Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton from Duncraig
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0856
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32774
KEYWORDS
postcards
villages
castles
bays
Plockton from Duncraig

This postcard shows the village of Plockton from nearby Duncraig. During the 1700s the settlement was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. However, as a consequence of the Highland Clearances, the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794.

In 1808, the new owner of the estate, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig Castle overlooking this bay

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton from Duncraig

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s; 1920s

postcards; villages; castles; bays

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Plockton from nearby Duncraig. During the 1700s the settlement was known as Am Ploc and its main industry was crofting. However, as a consequence of the Highland Clearances, the settlement was laid out as a modern village in about 1794. <br /> <br /> In 1808, the new owner of the estate, Sir Hugh Innes, provided homes for his cleared tenants here. For many years they derived their main income from shipbuilding and fishing. In 1851 Sir Alexander Matheson bought the Lochalsh Estate and some years later built Duncraig Castle overlooking this bay